The course has been designed to highlight certain important aspects of an extra-oral examination, including facial skin lesions and disorders, facial proportions and facial asymmetry, facial lymph node characteristics and temporomandibular joint function. Numerous examples of common findings and their impact on orthodontic treatment are presented. In addition, the legal ramifications of an inadequate extra-oral examination are outlined.
- Understand how to provide an extra-oral examination
- Recognize skin lesions and disorders together with the appropriate treatment
- Evaluate facial proportions and identify facial asymmetry
- Evaluate lymph node characteristics
- Examine the temporomandibular (TM) joints
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of TM joint dysfunction and treatment options